100,000 WiFi HotSpots!
According to ComputerWorld, the number of "public" Wi-Fi hotspots has surpassed 100,000. This is almost a 100% increase from the number of public hotspots at this time last year. Some interesting factoids I found are:
- The U.S. leads the world in hot spots, with 37,073
- 8,118 of the hot spots were free, and 92,237 charged fees for access
- HotSpots are dominated by hotels (26,330) and restaurants (19,653)
- Cafes are a separate category, with 13,815
- Pubs make up 6,285, while all other locations total 20,445
- 30 municipalities are up and running and hundreds are being implemented